10 Effective Ways To Stop Biting Your Nails
For some of us, it’s a nervous habit. For others, it’s almost automatic – a mindless action that we’ve done forever whenever we get stressed out. But no matter the reason, it’s fairly common, even though the end result is something we all wish we could avoid. Today, we’re talking about nail biting.
Biting nails is something that a lot of people just can’t seem to stop doing for one reason or another. It can be extremely difficult to quit – and to make that quitting permanent – but the benefits are absolutely worth the trouble. Besides keeping germs out of your mouth, your skin, nails, and cuticles will look better when there are no longer rough chips or chunks missing and sensitive red spots showing through.
So with that in mind, here are some of our top tips to help you stop biting your nails – though some of them are certainly more drastic than others!
1. Come to us and get your nails looking – and feeling – the best they ever have. When you get a manicure, your hands come out looking so good that you won’t want anything to ruin them. And with our acrylic nail solution – a solution that’s good for everyone, not just the ladies, you know – you get an extra boost of strength and solidity, all in a clear matte finish that looks totally natural. You choose between fancy colours that stand out or a low profile clear matte finish that nobody can even tell is there!
2. Stock up on hot sauce or fresh jalapeños. After you’ve prepped things for taco night, let the heat stay on your fingertips – or go stronger if you need a bigger deterrent. It should be enough to at least make you aware, instead of zoning out.
3. Buy some bitter tasting (but safe) coatings. Same idea here, but they use solutions that taste bitter, sour, or just plain gross to dissuade you from chewing on your nails. Effective, but again – gross!
4. Keep your nails cut short. By keeping the ends of your nails neat and tidy, the temptation and ability to bite them can be reduced. It does require more consistent maintenance, though.
5. Identify triggers and avoid them. Do you bite your nails when stressed, studying, or starving? Figure out what makes you do it, and try to eliminate those situations. Usually it’s when we are bored or nervous, more than anything else.
6. Try a different diet. Sounds odd, but it’s true! Making sure you get the right minerals and vitamins in your diet can make your nails stronger and more resistant to breakage before you realize you’re nibbling on them.
7. Stay busy! Play with silly putty, take up yo-yoing, or carry around a fidget cube. As long as your hands are doing something else, they can’t make their way to your mouth, so it’s a win.
If you need some more intensive measures, you could try these – though we wouldn’t say they’re strongly recommended:
8. Wear some extra oven mitts. Just be sure to type up all your emails beforehand.
9. Keep your hands tied to your legs. Who knows, you might even start a new dance craze!
10. Get a new job where your hands are always dirty. The world will always need mechanics, plumbers, painters, and butchers!
Now imagine how good it’ll be when you get a Spa Escape manicure – we’re well known in the city for being one of the best nail manicure salons in Calgary. Why not come see why we have that reputation? And the nails are just the beginning – we have plenty more for you to try, once those fingernails have grown in healthy, long and luxurious. Visit us for your consultation today!