Are you tired of having to shave or wax every few weeks? There’s a method of body hair removal in Calgary that has been growing in popularity for decades now. It is pain-free, effective, and can even be permanent. If you have never tried laser hair removal before, it is a great long-term solution to unwanted body hair.
However, it requires more care and attention than other methods. There are restrictions on certain beauty products you can use, for up to months before and after the treatment itself. Here, we’ll talk about the dos and don’ts of these products with laser hair removal so you can be prepared for your appointment.
Why Is There So Much Prep for Laser Hair Removal?
It may seem like some of the precautions are over the top, but it is all because of the way the treatment works.
The laser is a beam of high-energy light that is focused directly on the hair in the targeted area. Since the hair is darker than the surrounding skin, it absorbs almost all of that energy. This burns out the hair in the follicle, causing it to be shed over the next few weeks. The follicle is empty until the hair regrows again.
It is simple, but effective – assuming that nothing interferes with the process. All the following tips make it easier for the laser to work as it is meant to, while minimizing the chances of damage to the surrounding tissue.
Dos and Don’ts of Beauty Products Before Laser Hair Removal
Before your laser hair removal appointment…
- Don’t use fillers. Stay away from synthetics like silicone entirely, and discontinue natural fillers (e.g., collagen, Juvéderm, etc.) for at least 4-6 weeks before the treatment.
- Don’t use Accutane for several months. This dries out the skin and makes it very prone to damage.
- Don’t tan – real or fake. Sun exposure and tanning creams activate melanocytes in the skin, making it harder for the laser to identify what is hair and what is not. It also has potential to damage skin cells, either through UV light or chemical means. Leave the tan for at least 3-4 weeks before the session.
- Avoid Botox & Dysport.
- Avoid products with the following compounds for at least 1 week. This means no chemical peels or other harsh washing products:
- Alpha Hydroxy or Beta Hydroxy (AHA/BHA)
- Salicylic acid
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Don’t wax, tweeze, pluck, or use depilatories. These won’t leave enough of the hair in the follicle.
- Don’t cover your pores. This means no makeup, lotion, deodorants, or chemical sunscreens for 24 hours before or after the session.
That seems like a lot of don’ts! As it turns out, there are only two important practices to follow before a laser hair appointment: drink lots of water for good hydration and follow a routine of regular exfoliation a few times a week. Leave space of a few days before and after the appointment itself, but other than that, exfoliation is crucial to a good result.
Beauty Products Dos and Don’ts After Laser Hair Removal
What about after the appointment? What kind of after-care products are safe to use? Here’s what we recommend:
- Do use a mild soap to clean. Avoid scented products or chemicals and use gentle soaps for the first few days.
- Do wear a zinc oxide sunscreen when out in the sun. For at least 10-14 days, slather on the sun protection! Your skin will be very sensitive to heat and will need the help.
- Do take any prescription creams from a doctor. If you are prescribed a topical product by a physician, let them know about the laser treatment. If there is a conflict, they will let you know.
- Don’t use scrubs for a few days. The affected areas will be sensitive and need time to recover. Wait a few days before you slough off anything.
- Don’t use deodorant if your underarms were treated. We know, this is not ideal for summer – but it will go a long way to helping you get great results with minimal issues.
Laser Hair Removal in Calgary, Alberta
Choosing to get laser hair removal is exciting, but all of these restrictions might have you feeling nervous. We get it! We are here to put your mind at ease. That’s why we have a free consultation if you are thinking about undergoing the treatment. We can answer all your questions, make sure it is right for you, and walk you through everything from start to finish (including the package discount we offer)!
Say goodbye to shaving, waxing, and all the other methods you have tried in the past. Laser hair removal is your key to hair-free future – and we will be happy to make it a reality for you!