When you are after a perfectly smooth and hairless look on different areas of your body, the rituals of shaving, sugaring, or waxing can seem endless. The thought of doing maintenance every few weeks (or even days, in the case of shaving) can feel exhausting. That is why many people turn to laser hair removal, which has results that can last for years after the initial sessions.
As with any form of hair removal, though, it does take some preparation. Once you have decided to go through the process, you can take some simple steps to make sure you are ready for each session – which in turn will help you get the best results.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Before we get into proper preparation, it is important to understand what happens when you get a laser hair removal procedure.
Many people think that the intense light and localized heat “burns away” the hair, but that is not quite accurate. The laser light shines directly onto the hair, penetrating down into the pigment of each one where the follicle absorbs the energy and heat. This causes the follicle to lose the regrowth ability during the next anagen (growing) phase. There are many different varieties of laser systems used, such as Diode, Alexandrite, Ruby, and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL). The different options make this effective for almost all hair colours with very minimal or no pain along the way.
Because of the way the area absorbs heat, you do not want to have hair that is too long or chemically treated. You also want to make sure your skin is healthy, too, so it can recover easily after the procedure is done.
Top Tips: Preparing for Laser Hair Removal
In the days and weeks leading up to your laser hair removal appointment, here is what you should do to have the best experience. Whether it is your first one or your last, the same practices apply:
- Do not get too much sun exposure to the area for at least a month prior to treatment (or for 14 days after). If the skin is burned or tanned, the laser light would worsen the damage, causing discomfort, pain, or other side effects that would interfere with proper results.
- For the same reason, fake tanning products cannot be used 3-4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Within 24 hours of the appointment, shave and fully clean the area. We recommend handheld razors with better control – electric razors typically leave the hair too long.
- Do not tweeze, wax, or pluck the area being treated between or prior to sessions. Only shave the area. If the hair is already fully removed from the follicle, the laser will not have anything to focus on and remove.
- Before coming to the appointment, the area should be thoroughly exfoliated to remove all residues: makeup, lotion, deodorant, sunscreen, and so on. Inform the practitioner before treatment starts if you require wipes.
- Do not wear chemical sunscreen for 24 hours prior to your appointment. Protect skin from the sun using a mineral sunscreen instead.
Laser Hair Removal in Calgary, Alberta
You may have more questions about getting hair removal by laser in Calgary. Our professional technicians would be happy to answer them, thanks to our years of experience with this popular technology.
To find out more about getting laser hair removal at Spa Escape in downtown Calgary, send us a message or give us a call to get a free consultation. We will help you understand how it works, what to expect, and of course, how to prepare for each session to come.
Go from constant shaving to consistently smooth with laser hair removal in the heart of Calgary!